To Achieve Success!
Educators know that poor numeracy skills can hold back pupils’ progress and can lower their self-esteem. The love of learning maths comes from being able to solve mathematical problems with confidence.
The Alphareach maths workbooks are developed in a unique style connecting various strands of mathematical concepts to provide a holistic approach.
In My View...
"Having been a maths tutor for over twenty-five years, I believe that in order for the pupils to develop a firm foundation and gain a good grasp of the core concepts in mathematics, varied and frequent practice is required. These workbooks are inspired and developed from the vast experience I have gained by creating countless customised examples and worksheets to support the individual needs of the pupils I have taught over many years and tackling the misconceptions and difficulties students can encounter learning mathematics. Following on from the success I have had using these workbooks with my own students, I am keen to offer them to teachers to support their pupils and parents interested in helping their children build a firm foundation in mathematics."
'On the shoulders of giants'
In working with my pupils and developing these workbooks, I have been influenced by both the cognitive and behaviourist thinkers in education such as Vygotsky, Brunner, Piaget, Skemp and Skinner. In particular, I have drawn inspiration from Brunner's ideas of multiple representations taking into consideration the conscious thinking ability of the pupil and the need for scaffolding, linking with Vygotsky’s concept of the Zone of Proximal Development. My own experience of learning to teach maths has been hugely enhanced by completing the Open University’s mathematics education course and various other courses. I have carefully crafted the tasks in the workbooks in a series to help pupils build upon their previous knowledge using the variation theory. This links Mason’s and Watson’s idea of teaching for conceptual understanding using variation to structure sense-making and procedural variation to deepen the concept. This approach is also used successfully to teach maths in Singapore and the Far-East. A powerful pedagogic practice!
Incorporating the National Curriculum
The workbooks closely follow the national curriculum framework and guidance, offering comprehensive coverage of the topics by linking different strands within mathematics.
The Talk About! is a special interactive feature added in the workbooks for the pupils to articulate what they already know of the concept, procedure or the key term. It enables the teacher/parent to assess the pupils’ understanding of the topic and respond accordingly in further developing the pupils’ knowledge.
It helps the pupils reinforce learnt techniques, clear any misconceptions and deepen their understanding of the topic.
Alphareach Maths workbooks
The mathematical tasks in the workbooks are designed based on the variation theory. The use of conceptual and procedural variation enables learners to build a firm foundation and develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, improving pupils learning outcomes.
Inspiring Pupils to Think Mathematically
The workbooks employ various pedagogic strategies to engage the pupils in using their natural powers of imagination and inspires them to think mathematically.
Maths is a sequential subject to learn. Pupils make progress by building upon their previous knowledge. The topics-based structured series of workbooks from Alphareach, with varied and frequent practice of the tasks in increasing complexity makes it easy for the pupil to internalise and master the skill set necessary to confidently solve problems within the given topic.
The workbooks frequently emphasise key words, facts, formulas, phrases and definitions to help pupils develop the mathematical vocabulary and strengthen and improve their memory.
Many advantages of using the Alphareach workbooks in schools
- No loose sheets of paper that can get lost or crumpled.
- Comprehensive coverage of a topic linking different strands within mathematics that develops deeper understanding of essential mathematical concept.
- Pupils can look back through the workbook and monitor their own progress.
- The workbook emphasise key words and facts repeatedly.
- Lots of practice to enhance problem solving skill for the pupils.
- The workbooks can help as an intervention strategy to support struggling pupils or to challenge more able pupils.
- Time saver for busy teacher.
- Support for supply teacher.
Possible ways you can use these workbooks in class...
- Intervention work with pupils requiring extra practice.
- Classroom use by a supply teacher or cover supervisor.
- Home use; solely for setting homework.
- Combination of classroom and home use.
- Scheduled classroom use by teachers or teaching assistants.
- Extracurricular use; homework and numeracy clubs on your school premises can use these workbooks for added support.
- Handwriting practice pen control
- Handwriting practice upper case letters
- Handwriting practice lower case letters
- Handwriting practice upper and lower case letters
- Handwriting practice numbers one to ten
Times Tables with corresponding Division Workbooks
- Times Tables Book 1 - 2, 5 & 10
- Times Tables Book 2 - 3, 6 & 9
- Times Tables Book 3 - 4, 8 & 7
- Times Tables Book 4 - 2 to 9
- Times Tables Book 5 - 11 to 15
- Telling the Time Book 1
- Telling the Time Book 2
- Finding Facts About Time
- Money Sense Book 1 Counting money from 1p to 20p
- Money Sense Book 2 Counting money from 20p to 50p
- Money Sense Book 3A Counting money from 50p to £1.00
- Money Sense Book 3B Counting money from 50p to £1.00
- Basics of Fractions Book 1
- Basics of Fractions Book 2
- Basics of Fractions Book 3
- Basics of Fractions Book 4
- Equivalent Fraction Book 1
- Equivalent Fraction Book 2
- Equivalent Fraction Book 3
- Add and Subtract Fractions with same denominator Book 1
- Add and Subtract Fractions with different denominator Book 2
- Add and Subtract Fractions Book 3
- Area and Perimeter Book 1
- Area and Perimeter Book 1
- 2D Shapes Book 1