Basics of Fraction workbook 1 explores the concept of unit fraction half, third and quarters using multiple representations— in 2D shapes, discreet quantities and continuous measurements.
1. Write and recall two, three and four, times tables and the corresponding division facts. Enabling the pupil to develop an understanding that to work out:
- 1/2 of a quantity, they should divide by 2.
- 1/3 of a quantity, they should divide by 3.
- 1/4 of a quantity, they should divide by 4.
2. Work out half, third and a quarter of:
- a 2D shape
- a given amount
The pupil will be able to:
- Recognise a fraction as part of one whole.
- Acknowledge, name and write: half, third and a quarter in 2D shapes.
- Understand and use half, third and quarter in a variety of contexts, such as time, lengths, weights, capacity and other numerical quantities.
This workbook helps pupils to build the knowledge and skills expected to match the National Curriculum guidance for years 2, 3 and 4. Although, pupils in years 5 and 6 can also benefit from this workbook by using it as a refresher.
The mathematical tasks in Basics of Fractions book 1 is suitable for lower key stage 2
It is best to use these workbooks from beginning to end.