Basics of Fraction book 3
This book builds on workbooks 1 and 2. It helps pupils to consolidate the skill of finding fractions of an amount in relation to whole numbers, times, angles, money, mass, volume, length and shape.
Fractions are a bridge between arithmetical operations and a foundation for proportional reasoning. So having a good understanding and knowledge of fractions add to the repertoire of tools for pupils learning other mathematical topics such as decimals, perimeter, area, percentages, probability, etc.
- Revise times tables and division facts up to 10
- Learn associated keywords
- Distinguish between the unit and non-unit proper fractions
- Use fractions to calculate part of the quantity
The pupil will be able to:
- Solve problems related to non-unit proper fractions.
- Understand that to find a fraction of any quantity, divide the amount by the denominator and multiply by the numerator.
- Recognise metric measures such as lengths, mass, time, angles and other numerical quantities as one whole unit.
- Distinguish between unit fractions and fractions with a numerator bigger than one.
- Calculate fractions of measurements such as lengths, weights and capacity.
- Calculate fractions of money, time and other quantities.
This workbook helps pupils to build the knowledge and skills expected to match the National Curriculum guidance for years 4 and 5. Although, pupils in years 6, 7 and 8 can also benefit from this workbook by using it as a refresher.
It is best to use these workbooks from beginning to end.