- Identify directed numbers.
- Use the number line to order the numbers.
- Add and subtract directed numbers.
- Multiply and divide directed numbers.
- Simplify directed numbers.
- Research use directed numbers in temperature.
After working through this workbook the pupil should be able to:
- Add negative and positive numbers using the rules.
- Subtract positive and negative numbers using the rules.
- Multiply and divide positive and negative numbers using the rules.
This workbook will help pupil to build the knowledge and skills expected to match the new National Curriculum for years 7. Although in reality many pupils in years 8 and 9 will benefit from working through this workbook as a refresher.
The mathematical tasks in these workbooks are based on the variation theory. The tasks are set in a variety of contexts, with multiple representations that enable the pupils to develop conceptual and concrete understanding of negative and positive numbers. Additionally, the worked examples explain the rules and provide step by step guidance of how to calculate using the arithmetic operations with plenty of examples for pupils to learn the rules and internalise the concept.
To maximise the benefit for the learners, it is recommended that these workbook should be used from beginning to end.