- Review times tables and common multipliers
- Calculate equal fractions by multiplying.
- Review division facts and common factors.
- Calculate equal fractions by dividing.
The pupil completing this workbook will be able to:
- Recognise equivalent fractions by seeing similarities in the diagrams.
- Identify equivalent fractions from the diagrams.
- Detect relationships between times tables, division facts and the equivalent fractions.
- Express a smaller number as a fraction of a larger one.
This workbook will help pupil to build the knowledge and skills expected to match the new National Curriculum for years 4 and 5. Although in reality many pupils in years 6, 7, 8 and 9 will benefit from working through this workbook as a refresher.
The mathematical tasks in these workbooks are based on the variation theory. The tasks are set in a variety of contexts, with multiple representations that enable the pupils to deepen their understanding of the fundamental concepts in fractions and develop techniques to solving problems related to fractions.
The activities aim to empower pupils to use their natural powers of imagination, engage them to reason mathematically and allow them to make sense of their experiences.
To maximise the benefit for the learners, it is recommended that these workbooks should be used from beginning to end.