Money Sense Book 3B
The importance of learning to count money
Learning to count is a child’s first step into mathematics. Furthermore, children naturally recognise that learning to count is a money is an important skill to have because from an early age children know that money is used to buy all things they need or want. In addition, the more experience children have with counting, the more they will learn the meaning of numbers.
The pupil will learn to:
- recognise and know the value of different denominations of coins and notes.
- recognise and use symbols for pounds (£) and pence (p).
- make the given amounts of money up to £1.00 in different ways including doubles and halves.
- find different combinations of coins that equal the same amounts of money.
- solve simple real life money problems by adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing
The mathematical tasks in money sense book 3B are based on the variation theory, using conceptual and procedural variation. As a result, this enables the pupils to deepen their understanding of the concept of money as a currency. Moreover, it strengthens their ability to do mental calculations. Additionally, the activities empower pupils to use their natural powers of imagination, engage them to reason mathematically and allow them to make sense of their experiences.
Money Sense workbooks engage pupils in a variety of counting exercises, strengthening their capacity for mental calculations and place value.
- The exercises enables pupils to:
- count the given number of coins.
- add a specific value of money; this gives the pupils practice in adding numbers.
- cross off a specific value of money; this develops pupils’ subtraction skills.
- count in TEN’s and ONEs; this supports the understanding of the place value.
- double and halve the given amount of money; reinforce the idea of multiplying by two and dividing by two.
- solve simple problems in a practical context involving addition and subtraction of money of the same unit, including giving change.
To conclude, to maximise the benefit for the learners, it is recommended that these workbooks should be used from beginning to end.