Perimeter and Area Book 1
An area is the amount of space that is occupied on the inside by any shape, object, or flat surface. Whereas, the perimeter of a shape is calculated by adding up the length of all the sides and by measuring the outside of a shape or an object.
- Check your arithmetic skills.
- Count the squares to find the perimeter and area of the rectangles and squares.
- Count the squares to find the perimeter and area of unusual shapes.
- Explore the perimeter and area by drawing the shapes of a given area.
- Reflect and find the perimeter and area of shapes.
The pupils will be able to:
- Count and measure the perimeter and the area of the rectangles and squares.
- Count the perimeter and area of the compound shapes.
- Draw, reflect and count the perimeter and the area of the compound shapes.
This workbook will help pupils to build the knowledge and skills expected to match the new National Curriculum for years 4 and 5. Although in reality many pupils in years 6 and 7 will benefit from working through this workbook as a refresher.
The mathematical tasks in perimeter and area book 1 are based on the variation theory. The tasks are set in a variety of contexts, with multiple representations that familiarise the pupils with the concept of perimeter and area. In addition, tasks give pupils freedom to construct rectangles and other 2D shapes within a specified constraints. As a result, this approach allows pupil to engage in creative activity. Also, giving them the opportunity to see and test the relationships between the area and perimeter of rectangles, squares and other 2D shapes.
To conclude, to maximise the benefit for the learners, it is recommended that these workbook should be used from beginning to end.