- Count the squares to find the perimeter and area.
- Calculate the perimeter and the area of rectangles.
- Explore the perimeter and area.
- Explore the perimeter and area of the L shape.
- Explore the perimeter and area of the squares.
By completing this workbook the learners will be able to:
- work out area and perimeter by counting squares in various shapes.
- measure and calculate the area and perimeter of rectangles.
- explore relationships between length, area and perimeter.
This workbook will help pupil to build the knowledge and skills expected to match the new National Curriculum for years 5 and 6. Although in reality many pupils in years 7, 8 and 9 will benefit from working through this workbook as a refresher.
The mathematical tasks in these series of workbooks are based on the variation theory. The tasks are set in a variety of contexts, with multiple representations that familiarise the pupils with the concept of perimeter and area. The tasks are set to give pupils freedom to construct rectangles and other 2D shapes within a specified constraints. This approach allows pupil to engage in creative activity, giving them the opportunity to see and test the relationships between the area and perimeter of rectangles, squares and other 2D shapes.
To maximise the benefit for the learners, it is recommended that these workbook should be used from beginning to end.